We have moved! The blog, and all it's posts can now be found at Hop on over and find us there! You can use the search box at the bottom to find all older posts!

21 September 2011

Toddler room | DIY

Jarvis' big boy room is ready! Finishing up the toddler room and moving him over is the first step in getting prepared for the twins.

I love doing things ourselves, and luckily, I have a husband who enjoys it just as much. I'm not a huge fan of themed rooms, more a focus on color palettes and accents. But I have a toddler. A toddler with an obsession. So I tried to compromise, the 'truck' theme in this room is downplayed, and very easily changed. 

The best part of this room. The total cost is under $250 including all furniture, paint, supplies, and decorations (not including the pottery barn chair which was a Christmas gift). 

Onto some pictures!

All the decals were a steal on, and are all mounted on glass, for easy transportation when we move sometime in the next year! Curtains are from Ikea and have blackout fabric clipped to the back of them.

I'm still not 100% sold on the crooked frames. It was hubby's idea and he loves it. I'm not sure, but it's an easy change if I just can't handle it!

(please ignore the brown lampshade, it's a stand in until I can find one to recover at thrift store, since our selection in town is so bad!)

Want to know something fun? Both the helicopter pictures are of Daddy actually flying!

Bedding made all by me, 2 pillows, 2 sheets, and a comforter. The sheets were my one big 'toddler' concession as they are covered in different trucks, he loves them!

I got all the frames for less than $60 at a garage sale! 2 cans of orange spray paint later....

Hubby and I made and stained these toy bins!

Possibly my favorite part of the room... The sides and top of the dressers are painted in blue chalkboard paint and the drawer fronts in gray chalkboard. A chalkboard pen makes a semi-permanent label so that even my 20 month-old can get out his own pants and shirt! But they can be wiped clean with a little water! Plus he can color all over it with his own chalk. We have current sight words on one side and the letter of the week on the other. 

The toys bins are a larger replica of Pottery Barn's. They cost less than $20 for both, and took about 4 hours of cutting/screwing, and a few hours for 2 coats of stain.

And of course hubby had to brand them!

Ahhh, all done! He spends the whole time pointing at all the pictures saying 'dat' or naming them. He loves playing in there, especially the view from the windows that faces the street and traffic. 

Up next... converting a neutral nursery into boy/girl twin nursery!


Mama Ray said...


christarella said...

You guys did a great job! Jarvis is going to have so much fun in his new room!

shawna [of styleberryBLOG] said...

ahhhhhhmazing!!!!! I love the chainlink on the wall! & that chalkboard dresser idea is FAB! :) You did such a good job--& so unique/personal! Well done, mama!

Katie Leicht said...

It looks AMAZING Chelsea! I love your blog and all your DIY projects. It is very inspiring in many ways.